End User License Agreement
Terms and Conditions
CareerBuilder’s Application Programming Interface (the “CareerBuilder API” or “API”) allows you to integrate our database of millions of jobs with your software or website. The API provides methods for basic job searching and retrieval of data for a specific job. These services are free to use and available to anyone. The data returned by our API are subject to change at our discretion at any time.
Please read this page carefully. It contains the terms and conditions (the “API Terms”) governing your access to and use of the API and related Services (as defined below) provided by CareerBuilder, LLC or one of its divisions (collectively, “CareerBuilder,” “we” or “our”). If you do not accept these API Terms or you do not meet or comply with their provisions, you may not use the API. These Terms and Conditions are effective as of August 24, 2012.
Please contact us at any time if you have any questions, to report bugs, or to leave feedback.
These API Terms, together with the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions located at http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Info/HHTerms.aspx, as they may be amended from time to time by CareerBuilder, form a binding agreement (the "Agreement") between you and CareerBuilder (“API Terms” shall mean both this document and the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions). In the event of any conflict between the terms in this document and the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions, this document shall control with respect to your use of the CareerBuilder API. Your access to or use of the API indicates your acceptance of these API Terms. You are agreeing to use the API at your own risk.
Developer Codes & Access
You may register for a developer account at http://developer-legacy.cbmtn.io//keyrequests/newOnce you register for a developer account, you will be assigned a developer key that may be used to access the API. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your information, including your developer key. You may not allow others to use your developer key. You are responsible for all uses of your developer key, whether or not authorized by you. If others use your developer key in a manner that violates these API Terms, you risk losing your access to the API. You agree to notify CareerBuilder immediately of any unauthorized use of your developer key.
The CareerBuilder API and all right, title and interest in and to the CareerBuilder API and any Content (as such term is defined below) contained therein are the sole property of CareerBuilder or its licensors, and are protected by United States and foreign copyright, trademark and other laws. Except for the limited licenses expressly granted to you in these API Terms, CareerBuilder reserves for itself and its licensors all other rights, title and interest. Subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions set forth in this Agreement, and solely for the duration of this Agreement, we hereby grant you a limited, personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to: (a) access and use the CareerBuilder API solely to develop, test, display, execute, and distribute software applications or websites (each, an “Application”); (b) access and display in your Application certain data that we may, in our sole discretion, make available from time to time through the CareerBuilder API or any RSS or other data feed (all such data, collectively, the “Content”); and (c) allow others to access your Application as permitted by CareerBuilder. “CareerBuilder,” the CareerBuilder design logo and certain other names or logos are service marks or trademarks of CareerBuilder, and all related product and service names, design marks and slogans are the service marks or trademarks of CareerBuilder. Any code that CareerBuilder creates to generate or display the Content or the pages making up the API is also protected by CareerBuilder’s copyright. You must retain all copyright, trademark, service mark and other proprietary notices contained on the Content or CareerBuilder Materials on any authorized copy you make of the Content or CareerBuilder Materials.
FOR AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT, NOTHING HEREIN OBLIGATES US TO MAKE THE CAREERBUILDER API OR ANY CONTENT AVAILABLE TO YOU. ANY ACCESS TO THE CAREERBUILDER API OR CONTENT IS WITHIN OUR SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION, AND MAY BE SUSPENDED OR TERMINATED AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON, WITHIN OUR SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION.
We may release new versions of the CareerBuilder API at any time, and we may, in our sole and absolute discretion, require you to obtain and use the most recent version.
- You may not use the CareerBuilder API to create Applications that offer or promote services competitive with CareerBuilder. Your Applications may, without using the API, display targeted advertising of businesses competitive with CareerBuilder, but only if it displays the CareerBuilder logo, its services, and the Content in a manner that is at least as prominent, conspicuous, and in as much repetition as such advertising of competitive businesses, but not on the same page as such advertising of competitive businesses.
- You may not use the CareerBuilder API in connection with offering or promoting services that are damaging to, disparaging of, or otherwise detrimental to CareerBuilder or its licensors, licensees, affiliates and partners.
- You may not use the CareerBuilder API in connection with an Application that does not create a benefit for end users.
- You may not share the Content with any third parties except as expressly authorized in advanced by CareerBuilder.
Conduct and Other Usage Restrictions
- interfere with or disrupt any services offered by CareerBuilder through any medium, including those provided on any CareerBuilder operated website (collectively, the “Services”);
- create, place, or disseminate any advertisements immediately before or during the presentation of any Content, or overlaid or superimposed upon any Content;
- create, place, or disseminate any materials or other items that overlay or obscure any Content, or add, change, or remove any of the Content;
- post, email or transmit or otherwise make available through your Application or otherwise, or position any Content around, near, or next to, any content that is inappropriate, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, abusive, hateful, infringing, unlawful or otherwise offensive;
- store any Content (other than for limited-time caching purposes in the ordinary course of your site’s maintenance and operation) or use any Content (including any third party trademarks or service marks therein) other than as it is provided by CareerBuilder;
- edit, add to, delete from, remove hyperlinks to, add hyperlinks to, or otherwise modify the Content (including any attributions contained therein);
- restrict or inhibit any other user from using any Services, or violate any requirements, procedures, policies, or regulations of networks connected to any Services;
- use Services for any illegal or unauthorized purpose, or interfere with or disrupt any servers or networks connected to any Services;
- circumvent, reverse engineer, or modify any software code or other security mechanism employed by CareerBuilder or the CareerBuilder API, including without limitation any authentication technologies;
- impersonate any person in order to access any Services, or create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses, or otherwise obtain access to Services without authorization;
- enable any other person to personally identify any user of your Application, either directly or indirectly;
- state or imply affiliation, sponsorship or endorsement of you or your Application by or with CareerBuilder or (if applicable) any third party Content provider, or state or imply that any of the Content is your own creation;
- download, scrape, post, or transmit, in any form or by any means, any part of the Services or Content other than posting Content as part of your Application;
- upload, post, email or transmit or otherwise make available messages that promote pyramid schemes, chain letters or disruptive commercial messages or advertisements, or anything else prohibited by law;
- use the Content as part of any sweepstakes or similar promotion or event except in compliance with applicable laws and as expressly authorized by CareerBuilder in writing on a case-by-case basis;
- modify or delete any author attributions, legal, or other proper notices or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of software or other material (including Content);
- use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval Application, or other device to retrieve or index any portion of Services or collect information about users for any unauthorized purpose;
- provide content with, in, or in connection with your Application that states or implies that such content is sponsored or endorsed by CareerBuilder without CareerBuilder’s express written authorization;
- use the CareerBuilder API or any Content to promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities or to promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual;
- use the CareerBuilder API or any Content to defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten, or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
- upload, post, email transmit, or otherwise make available with, in, or in connection with your Application, any content that infringes any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary right of any party, unless you (or the end user posting the content) are the owner of the content or have the written permission of the owner to post such content;
- charge any fees or require payment for use of or access to the CareerBuilder API or the Content, even if such use or access is offered as part of a bundle of services being offered by you;
- transmit any viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, time-bombs, malware, spyware, or any other computer code of a destructive or interruptive nature in connection with your use of any Services, the CareerBuilder API, or the Content; or
- reverse engineer, disassemble, reconstruct, decompile, translate, modify, copy, or, other than as explicitly permitted hereunder, create derivative works of any Services, including, without limitation, the CareerBuilder API or any aspect or portion thereof.
You agree to provide us with access to your Application and other materials related to your use of the CareerBuilder API as reasonably requested by us, in order to allow us to verify your compliance with this Agreement and any policies or guidelines that we have made accessible to you. You agree that we may crawl or otherwise monitor online Applications and you agree not to block or interfere with such efforts by CareerBuilder.
We may limit the number of network calls that your Application may make via the CareerBuilder API, the maximum file size, or the maximum amount of Content that may be accessed, or anything else about the CareerBuilder API and the Content as we deem appropriate in our sole discretion, and as we may communicate to you from time to time. CareerBuilder may change such usage limitations at any time and without notice. In addition to any other rights of CareerBuilder under this Agreement, we may utilize technical measures to prevent over-usage or to stop usage of the CareerBuilder API by an Application after any usage limitations are exceeded.
Attribution and Goodwill
You must clearly and conspicuously attribute the source of all Content as received from CareerBuilder. You may not modify, obscure, or otherwise disable the functioning of links to CareerBuilder or to third-party applications or websites that are provided within Content. Similarly, you may not modify or obscure the text, images, artwork, logos, copyright or similar notices, or other aspects of any Content that you receive via the CareerBuilder API other than, with respect to graphic images, you may re-size such images while maintaining the same relative proportions of the image.
Purge of Certain User Data
If your Application allows end users to access their CareerBuilder account, promptly (but no later than 24 hours) after each end user’s session from your Application you shall delete from your Application and data retention systems all Content and other data associated with the end user or his or her sessions.
Protective Measures by CareerBuilder
Without limiting any of our rights set forth in this Agreement, including any other termination rights available to us under this Agreement, we may immediately terminate your use of the CareerBuilder API and your access to Content, or otherwise disable access by your Application to any or some of the CareerBuilder API, if we suspect or determine in our sole discretion that you are violating this Agreement or any guidelines or policies that we make available to you. You agree and acknowledge that such actions by CareerBuilder may result in your Application no longer functioning.
You are permitted to store CareerBuilder job links for caching purposes for up to, but not exceeding, twenty-four (24) hours. You must refresh, re-display and/or re-request job links at least once every twenty-four (24) hours via a web request to the CareerBuilder API. You may store or cache the following product information for up to, but not exceeding thirty (30) days: (i) job categories; (ii) employee types; and (iii) country codes for specific localizations. CareerBuilder reserves the right, at any time, to direct you to delete any and all job links and/or product information cached for the purposes of this Agreement. You hereby acknowledge and agree that you will comply with such direction at the time directed.
We have no obligation to provide you or your users with support, software upgrades, enhancements, or modifications of any kind. You understand and agree that you are solely responsible for providing user support and any other technical assistance for your Application. In our sole discretion, we may redirect users and potential users of your Application to your email address on your account for purposes of answering general Application inquiries and support questions. If we elect to provide such support, it shall be subject to the Disclaimer of Warranties disclosed below, and we may terminate such support at any time without notice to you for any or no reason.
- YOUR USE OF THE CAREERBUILDER API AND ANY CAREERBUILDER SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE CAREERBUILDER API AND ANY CAREERBUILDER SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. CAREERBUILDER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
- CAREERBUILDER MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE CAREERBUILDER API OR ANY CAREERBUILDER SERVICES WILL (a) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (b) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, OR HAVE KNOWN OR DISCOVERED ERRORS CORRECTED, (c) PROVIDE RESULTS THAT ARE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, OR (d) MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS OR THE QUALITY STANDARDS OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU.
- ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE CAREERBUILDER API OR ANY CAREERBUILDER SERVICES IS ACQUIRED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
- NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM CAREERBUILDER AT ANY TIME CREATES ANY WARRANTY THAT IS NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THIS AGREEMENT.
Limitation of Liability
- IN NO EVENT WILL CAREERBUILDER BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR PENALTIES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, FOR LOST PROFITS OR INABILITY TO ACCESS THE CAREERBUILDER API) ARISING HEREUNDER OR IN CONNECTION HEREWITH, EVEN IF CAREERBUILDER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR PENALTIES.
- BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OR LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE LIMITATIONS SET FORTH IN THE PRECEDING PARAGRAPH MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IF ANY ARE HELD INAPPLICABLE OR UNENFORCEABLE FOR ANY REASON, THEN CAREERBUILDER'S MAXIMUM LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY NON-DIRECT TYPE OF DAMAGES SHALL BE LIMITED TO U.S. $200.00 IN THE AGGREGATE.
- IN NO EVENT SHALL CAREERBUILDER (OR ANY OF ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, EMPLOYEES, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, AGENTS OR ADVERTISERS), BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT DAMAGES IN EXCESS IN THE AGGREGATE OF US$200.00.
CareerBuilder may terminate, suspend, throttle, limit access, update, alter or supplement, at its sole discretion, all or any part of the CareerBuilder API at any time without notice. By permitting you access to the CareerBuilder API, CareerBuilder does not convey any interest in or to the CareerBuilder API. All right, title and interest in and to the CareerBuilder API is and shall remain in CareerBuilder.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless CareerBuilder (and its officers, directors, employees and agents) from and against any third party claims, actions or demands (including, without limitation, costs, damages and reasonable legal and accounting fees) alleging or resulting from or in connection with your use of the CareerBuilder API or your breach of this Agreement. CareerBuilder shall use reasonable efforts to provide you prompt notice of any such claim, suit, or proceeding and may assist you, at your expense, in defending any such claim, suit or proceeding.
CareerBuilder reserves the right to modify the terms and conditions of this Agreement or provide additional usage requirements or limitations in its sole discretion at any time by posting a revised version hereof on this webpage or by otherwise making such revised terms available for your review. Any such modifications will supersede all prior versions after the revised version has been posted on this Webpage or otherwise made available as described above. Your continued use of the CareerBuilder API constitutes your agreement to any such revisions.